Our response to the COVID-19 pandemic can very much depend on our support network, our financial situation, our health and emotional background, the community we live in, and many other factors.
During these very challenging time we have been working with many people close by in Harrogate and all across the country helping support them and their families.
We want to share some of these ideas with you here and we hope they provide you with a springboard to looking after yourself.
Knowing where to turn in a crisis
The most important thing is to notice if you are finding it difficult to cope and then to be able to turn a local health professional if needed for support. Knowing who is around you, what is available and how to contact them is not only reassuring but means you can quickly access the right treatment and support services if or when you need them.
How to reduce stress and anxiety through a pandemic
Taking care of our emotional health is important as taking care of our physical health and therefore here are some ways you may be able to reduce the stress and worries;
- Reduce your screen time. It’s easier said than done but be strict with yourself and make some house rules about how long you are consuming online media.
- Take regular breaks from watching, reading or listening to new stories. Hearing about the pandemic repeatedly can be extremely upsetting for many people
- Take care of your body. This might include taking deep breaths of stretching, eating healthy, well-balanced meals, exercising regularly, getting plenty of sleep, and avoiding excessive alcohol use and drugs.
- Making time to unwind and do activities that you enjoy during the day.
- Connect with others as much as you can even if this needs to be remotely and try and talk openly with those people that you trust about your concerns and how you are feeling.
- Connect with your community- or face-based organisations which again, in the current climate, may be remotely or online through social media, by phone or by email.
There are times when people find that doing these things feels like an uphill struggle for themselves. If you feel like your existing strategies aren’t working or your existing support network is not available, then you may benefit from some additional support.
Talk to us
If you find yourself feeling like that, then we are always here to talk through your concerns and see if we might be able to support you in some way and find a way forward that fits for you.
If that is the case, then please telephone us on 01423637818 or email email@example.com.